Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
- By accessing or using data made available on Edinburgh Open Data, the user agrees to all the terms and conditions as stated
- The Digital Services team reserves the right to remove any data sets, applications, or APIs from the catalog at any time without prior notice
- When creating new applications, visualizations, or other projects based on the data in Edinburgh Open Data, the user may not use any trademark, emblem, logo, or statement implying the endorsement of the original creator of the data set, application, or API unless the data owner has agreed to that endorsement
- The user assumes sole responsibility for any applications, visualizations, or other projects created using data found on Edinburgh Open Data. The Digital Services team and the owner of the original data source have no legal responsibility or indemnity for projects created using this data
The Council does not under any circumstances accept responsibility for the accuracy, reliability or otherwise of any post, advert, information or message on this site, nor is any kind of warranty or representation expressed or implied by the Council by the publication of any advert, information or message on this site.
The Edinburgh Open Data website is provided by the City of Edinburgh Council to give:
- The Edinburgh Open Data website provides access to data sets the Council has decided to publish under the Open Government Licence. It also promotes use of the data through different content pages, alerts users about possible challenges and has a contact page for users to send requests for data, submit data stories or share information about their own work. The emails are sent to a dedicated email box which is managed by one administrator. Once dealt with the emails are deleted.
To provide this information the City of Edinburgh Council needs to collect, store, use, share and dispose of personal information. This is known as data processing.
The following personal data about administrators is collected:
- User name
- Full name
- Email address
The following personal data is collected when forms are submitted:
Data processed by the Council about Edinburgh Open Data administrators is processed because it is necessary to provide a Council service which is part of our public task.
Data is shared with EDINA (A division of Information Services – The University of Edinburgh in their role as data processor). EDINA will not view client data or digital assets except as necessary on a need to know basis in the course of development or support.
We will not use your data for any other reason except on occasion use the email you have supplied on registration to alert you to information that may affect your use of the Edinburgh Open Data website e.g. system interruptions, prompts to check and update your personal data.
You can delete your account at any time, on deletion all personal data used on registration is destroyed. Users who send comments in have their emails deleted once responses are sent.
Conditions of processing
In processing personal information, The City of Edinburgh Council must comply with the EU General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018.
Article 6(1)(e) processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller;
Details of transfers to third country and safeguards
Your information will normally be stored and processed on servers based within the European Economic Area. While it may sometimes be necessary to transfer personal info overseas, any transfers will be in full compliance with data protection legislation.
We will not keep your information for any longer than it is needed, and will dispose electronic records in a secure way. Data will be deleted should a user leave the Council, move to a new post within the Council or when we are advised they no longer require access to the Edinburgh Open Data website.
Incidents, complaints and comments
Data Protection Incident
If you are concerned about what we do with your data, or think something has gone wrong, contact the Council's Data Protection Officer to report a data protection incident.
The Council’s Data Protection Officer is:
Kevin Wilbraham, Information Governance and Strategic Complaints Manager
Information Governance Unit, City of Edinburgh Council
Waverley Court – 2.1, 4 East Market Street
EH8 8BG E-mail: email@example.com
Tel: 0131 469 6200
Complaints and comments
If you wish to make a complaint or comment about how we have processed your personal information, you can do so by writing to the Council's Data Protection Officer.
If you are still unhappy with how the council have handled your complaint, you may contact
UK Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House
Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF Tel: 08456 30 60 60 | Website: www.ico.org.uk